[Phys-l] picket fence free fall vs. ticker tape timer

I remember reading an article last year on the error in using position-time
data (like a ticker-tape) in calculating the acceleration of a freely falling
object. In particular, I think it referred to using position time data from a
"picket fence" apparatus with regularly spaced opaque and transparent strips
falling through a photogate. I have searched my paper files and the internet
to no avail. Does this sound familiar to anyone who could point me in the
proper direction?

Thanks

Justin Parke