[Phys-l] A simple (?) question about "to the left"

While we're on phrasing, here is one that I hadn't thought much about
before. I described a force during circular motion as "to the left" for
the driver. Talking later to a couple students, I realized they were
interpreting this as a force "to the left *side* of the driver, pushing
him toward the *right*."

It had never occurred to me this might be an issue! It is surprising
sometimes that the terminology we find so clear can be misinterpreted so
easily. The word "toward" instead of "to" would help a bit I think, but
still wouldn't completely solve the problem.

Tim F