Re: [Phys-l] cosmology

Hi Jeffrey-
I suggest that you get your cosmology from the popular books by active cosmologists. The notion of ``before the big bang'' has no context that any cosmologist I am aware of has been able to give meaning to.
There are papers being circulated (I've not tried to read any of them) that are apparently advocating an oscillatory universe.
The observational problem is that we cannot, at present, look back before them time of formation of atoms, when the universe became transparent to EM radiation. For all practical purposes that was time zero, but the zero comes after an almost instantaneous inflation in size.
We'll learn more if we ever learn to detect relic neutrinos left over from the big bang (if there was one), and relic gravitational waves, if any. Lots of open questions for the future. Fun, huh!
Regards,
Jack