Re: [Phys-l] rebuilding my (lost) library

Although I am enjoying and profiting from the list of "must have" books, I am concerned that the books were lost in the first place. In the past five years or so, this is the third time I have heard of an academic institution losing a professor's office contents while the professor was on sabbatical. Why does this happen?

At my institution, we have so far been blessed there is enough office space that a professor's office is not used by the replacement faculty. The faculty offices are somewhat sacred. I have not had to move anything out of my office for the three sabbaticals I have had so far, and my office sat vacant when I was away from it. This has been challenged lately because some sabbatical replacements have had to use offices in a different building than where their teaching is, but so far the policy has held.

When I was a graduate student, my professor took a leave for half a year and his office was not used by the replacement. He gave me the key and told me I could use it, but to guard it and not let any other faculty or postdocs or students use it. I'm not sure it was necessary because other than the janitors and me, I am not sure anyone else even had a key to it.

It seems to me the first choice is that a sabbatical professor's office stays intact. A distant choice which seems must be followed religiously is that the professor's personal belongings be kept very secure. I hope the institution is paying for any lost personal belongings.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive