Re: [Phys-l] rebuilding my (lost) library

I'm curious, also -- so please answer "on line".

bc, has mostly very old texts -- two 19 cent.!

kyle forinash wrote:

Hi All;

While on sabbatical a significant number of my reference books (undergrad/grad physics) went into storage on campus and have disappeared. Some were fairly old so I'm thinking now is the time to upgrade. I don't want to buy one of everything that is available but rather a couple of good books in each area (mechanics, quantum, mathematics/mathphys, solid state/condensed matter, field theory, thermo/statmec, relativity/gravitation, numerical methods, etc.) would be handy.

So my question is: In your opinions, what are the essential texts/references for upper level undergrad/1st year grad school physics (say, the best 2 or 3 in each field)?

I still have the Feynman lectures and several good intro texts. But is Goldstein still the gold standard for mechanics? What about other areas like biophysics, sound, optics, astronomy, etc?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

kyle