Re: [Phys-l] Microcanonical ensemble

At 01:19 PM 8/20/2007, Sarma, you wrote:
Hello,

Some books say that N,E,V are constant for microcanonical ensemble.
Some others say that only E and N are constant and V is not. They say
that it can under go free expansion without changing either E or N.

I request the input of the learned people on this list.

regards,
Sarma.

I disclaim any relevant learnedness. So it is with no angst that I parse
this paragraph to mean.

"There are books that mention properties called

"These books also mention processes or qualities or states called
constant
free expansion
change
microcanonical ensemble.

"I am not sure what I am intended to understand when each of
these words is used. Please help me understand.
I take it that you are both smart, and more certain of the appropriate
definitions."

And now my conclusion: if one reads such a book: a book that does not
adequately define its terms as and when needed, then the only appropriate
course of action is to consign it to the round file.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!