Re: [Phys-l] California state standards and their tests

Looking at the questions at:
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/documents/rtqphysics.pdf

One can immediately see why the state tests are not very good and are
unlikely to assess whether students understand material. They certainly can
assess memorization of specific facts.

1. There is no answer to this. What is the difference between plotting as
a histogram, ans plotting range vs angle. Note that the angles are equally
spaced. This relies on a memorized result which I have not been told the
answer. I would say entered into a spreadsheet, then I could have it do the
plots. But I always have students do plot by hand, so they might pick the
correct answer D.
2. The obvious answer is motion sensor, but that assumes that students have
actually used one. I prefer to use the term sonic-ranger which is MUCH less
confusing to students as it really senses range, and not motion. This
biases the test in favor of schools which can afford to purchase and use the
sonic-rangers.
4. The answers again are not unique, as it is the mass to resistance ratio
that matters.
5. Either a or b are valid answers, and if the students are doing inquiry
as is mandated by the national standards A, not the approved B is the
correct answer. Oh, and current is not "applied" to a circuit!!!! If
indeed you applied current, it would flow through the bulb and it would
light. Of course the voltage would be very high.
9. This has grammatical confusion as opposite direction should come after
acting

There are some better questions later:
18. This is an exception as it could have been taken from the FCI.
The one with heat graphs is similar to some questions from the conceptual
test of heat understanding, so it is also an exception.

I believe this set of sample questions has been criticized before, and has
been found wanting.

There are no strobe diagrams, and no assessment of understanding of
kinematics graphs.

Incidentally the first TX test which was released had some outrageously bad
questions. NY has generally accurate questions, and releases them every
year. But it is possible to do well on the Regents and still not understand
physics.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX