Re: [Phys-l] Wire through ice experiment

On Aug 10, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Richard Hake wrote:

Antti Savinainen (2007) in his Phys-L post of 9 Aug 2007 titled "Wire
through ice experiment," wrote [my insert at ". . . .[insert]. . .
.":

"The work . . . . .[Valjus (2006]. . . . contains an interesting
result regarding wire through ice experiment: it seems that thermal
conductivity plays a significant role in it instead of depressing of
freezing point due to pressure. Take a look if you are interested:
It would be interesting to hear your comments."

There's an analysis of rate at which a weighted steel bar moves
downward through a block of ice in my ancient thermo text [Zemansky
(1951)], indicating that the rate is directly proportional to the
"over-all heat transfer coefficient of the composite heat conducting
path consisting of the metal and the water layer."

I used to do a demo in which two apparently identical copper wires
(about 0.010 inches in diameter) were loaded at the ends with
identical weights and placed over identical ice cubes ran a
regelation race through the ice cubes. The two set ups were viewed at
close range by several students who verified that they appeared
identical.

As I recall one of the wires took about 10 times longer to pass
through the ice than the other, to the surprise of the few students
who were still awake.

No one ever guessed the reason - before the demo one of the wires had
been soaked in hydrofluoric acid to remove its very thin insulation
layer and thereby drastically increase its over-all heat transfer
coefficient.

Another way to demonstrate this is to compare a copper wire and a fishing-road "wire" (nylon) of the same diameter. If Zemansky's explanation is correct then times to go through the ice block should be about the same for both wires.

1) It is a great opportunity to show students how a reasonable explanation can be debunked by a clever experiment.

2) Did Zemansky believe the explanation or did he use it because it was reasonable?

3) Did physicist of Fayman generation believe in this explanation?
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/