Re: [Phys-l] explanatory and response variables (was calibration )

Yeah, the standards tell me I have to have one "single independent
variable"
http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/scgrade5.asp
Well, given the choice between the standards and reality, I'm going
to believe reality and disbelieve the standards.

To be fair, that isn't quite what the standard says.
"Identify a single independent variable in a scientific investigation
and explain how this variable can be used to collect information to
answer a question about the results of the experiment."

As I see this, the student should be able to name an independent
variable - perhaps the only one in the experiment; perhaps one of many.
Once they have the "independent variable" identified, then they need to
be able to explain something about that variable. For a fifth grade
level, this seems a pretty reasonable expectation.

Tim F

P.S. I like most of the rest of what you were writing in this post