Re: [Phys-l] explanatory and response variables (was calibration )

At 23:35 -0400 8/8/07, Ken Fox wrote:

Egad! I had no idea of how confused my students must have been as I blithely
discussed that the independent variable should be on the x or horizontal
axis and the dependent on the y or vertical axis.

So what do you tell your students when they do an experiment where they put photogates at fixed positions along, say, a tilted air track, and measure the times that the glider passes them. Have they not done an experiment where the independent variable is distance and the dependent variable is time? And if so what do you tell them when they plot time on the y-axis and distance on the horizontal, and find that the velocity measurements come out in sec/m?

Why worry about dependent and independent at all? If they are not in a position to figure out for themselves what the optimum way to plot a graph is, then just tell them put whichever variable will be the numerator of slope measurements on the y-axis and the other one on the x-axis. And when they complain that their chemistry teacher told them to worry about dependent and independent variables, just tell them that you are freeing them from that restriction. All they have to do now is to think about what they are going to do and do the thing that makes most sense. That means about a million arbitrary rules that they no longer have to worry about.

Then you can take up a collection among your faculty colleagues to provide help for the chemistry teacher who just had a nervous breakdown, because now his most righteous rules (dependent/independent variables and significant figures--see earlier posts) have both been violated.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar