Re: [Phys-l] explanatory and response variables (was calibration )

Frankly, I've never seen a need for the names abscissa and ordinate. Moreover, I only remember them using the fact that I know they seem backward to me.

That is:
1. I look at the two.
2. I realize I have no idea what to make of the word "abscissa."
3. I turn to the word "ordinate."
4. I figure that it must mean "independent variable" so that the word "co-ordinate" can mean "dependent variable."
5. I remember that I'm always wrong about that.
Hence ordinate -> vertical axis and abscissa -> horizontal axis.

It seems to me, that it ought to be enough to say things like "Plot aargh versus blah" and that, if it isn't, then someone simply needs a little instruction in the following form:

1. *Remind* students about the idea of a "function" and of plotting the "dependent variable" on the vertical axis "as a function of" an "independent variable" on the horizontal axis.
2. *Tell* students to read "versus" as "as a function of."

If it really isn't enough to *remind* them of #1 and to *tell* them to do #2, then there are far bigger problems to deal with then knowing what to call the horizontal and vertical axes of a graph.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

On Aug 8, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Rauber, Joel wrote:

| (1) What should we call the axes of a 2-dimensional graph (in
| general)?

Anything wrong with abscissa and ordinate?