Re: [Phys-l] calibration

On 08/07/2007 11:57 AM, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

The author of my statistics textbook refers to x as "explanatory"
variable and to y as "response" variable. I suppose he does this
because the textbook is mostly for people who never had calculus.

More likely it's because of the naiveté of the author. The students
may be naive also, but I doubt that's what's driving this.

Has the author ever looked at, say the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram?
On the main sequence, does luminosity "explain" the color?? Or
does color "explain" the luminosity???
http://astroguia.org/bitacoras/jandrochan/2007/01/21/las-estrellas-diagramas-de-temperaturaluminosidad/

Also: In a heat capacity experiment, does the temperature "explain"
the energy?? Or does the energy "explain" the temperature???

Or even simpler: If we graph height versus weight for a group of
people, does the height "explain" the weight?? Or does the weight
"explain" the height???

Most of all, why not just treat x and y on an equal footing? AFAICT
treating them differently is never helpful and often harmful. Why
are people even /tempted/ to introduce this sort of never-helpful
complexity?