Re: [Phys-l] interaction

At 08:41 AM 8/5/2007, John D., you wrote:

Observations: Ball #1 hits ball #2 and comes to rest. Balls
#2, #3, and #4 remain nearly at rest, nearly at their original
positions. Ball #5 goes flying.

Analysis: To a good approximation:
-- All of the rightward momentum initially in ball #1 is transferred
out of ball #1, which is a big net loss of rightward momentum for
that ball.
-- Rightward momentum flows /through/ balls #2, #3, and #4 with no
net gain or loss of momentum for those balls.
-- Rightward momentum flows into ball #5, which is a big net gain of
rightward momentum for that ball.

Note that the direction of flow is distinct from the direction of
momentum. A /push/ is a rightward flow of rightward momentum, or
(equivalently) a leftward flow of leftward momentum. In contrast,
a /pull/ would be a rightward flow of leftward momentum, or a
leftward flow of rightward momentum.

Hmmmm....I prefer to use the transmission line model.
A mechanical transmission line, whether it is a row of balls, or a metal rod
or whatever, transmits an impulse in a reasonably well understood way:
sometimes as a compression, rarification, shear, or twist wave.

In this way, I don't need to deal with the dynamic physical descriptions of
abstract qualities like transfer of momentum. This is not to deny
I can handle phrases like the flow of [heat] energy, where the underlying
physical mechanism is tedious or quasi-statistical. I can, and I do.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!