Re: [Phys-l] Binary star question

The most elegant, and clear, discussion of the Kepler problem that I know, due, I believe to Cal Tech's mathematician Tom Apostoli, is in the textbook <The Mechanical Universe>, the edition by Olenick, et al., Chapteers 26-29 (Chapter 27 discusses eccentricity).
One way to loook at it is that for fixed angular momentum, the circular orbit is the orbit with minimum energy (assuming a 1/r potential).
Regards,
Jack