Re: [Phys-l] Binary star question

On 12/29/2007 06:47 AM, Savinainen Antti wrote:

I have a problem with one detail in quite a simple exercise.
It goes like this. Two stars are revolving in circular orbits
around their common center of mass. The masses are given and it
is told that their mutual distance remains constant (this distance also given). The period is asked; with the above mentioned
assumption they have the same periods.

Now this is not hard to do and I have no problems with solving
the exercise. I just can't see why their mutual distance remains
constant. I suspect it follows from a conservation law (angular momentum?).

Before asking why something is true, we should ask whether
it is true.

The statement that the distance remains constant is either
tautological or false.
-- If we are told that for this problem the distance is
constant /by hypothesis/ then that's true /by hypothesis/.
It's true for this problem, but not in general.
-- If the problem asserts that in nature the eccentricity
is always zero, then it's just wrong. You can have any
eccentricity you want, from zero on up.
e = 0 circle
e in (0,1) ellipse
e = 1 parabola
e > 1 hyperbola

The physics here is well known. Keplerian orbits. An obvious
way to set up a highly eccentric orbit is to start with two
stars far apart, nearly at rest (i.e. verrry small angular
momentum) and then just let go. The result is a verrry thin
ellipse.