[Phys-l] COLD FUSION

1) Those following the ongoing feud about the so-called "cold fusion" might be interested in an important paper published by US Navy scientists in the European Physical Journal: Applied Physics on 12/13/07 --> Eur. Phys. J. Appl. Phys. 40, 293–303 (2007). Here is the abstract:

Use of CR-39 in Pd/D co-deposition experiments
P.A. Mosier-Boss1,a, S. Szpak1, F.E. Gordon1, and L.P.G. Forsley2
1 SPAWAR Systems Center San Diego, Code 2373, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
2 JWK International Annandale, VA 22003, USA
Published online: 13 December 2007 – c EDP Sciences

Abstract. The use of CR-39, a solid state nuclear track detector, to detect the emission of energetic charged
particles during Pd/D co-deposition is demonstrated. The pits observed in the CR-39 are attributed to
the Pd/D cathode and are not due to radionuclide contamination in the cell components; nor to the
impingement of D2 bubbles on the surface of the CR-39; nor to chemical attack by D2, O2, or Cl2. The
features (i.e., optical contrast, shape, and bright spot in the center of the pit) of the pits generated during
Pd/D co-deposition are consistent with those observed for pits that are of a nuclear origin.

2) Today or tomorrow is the last day for free downloading of this paper. I did this last night. First I registered (also free) at:

http://www.edpsciences.org/articles/epjap/abs/2007/12/ap07222/ ap07222.html

A minute after specifying my desired password (in the submitted registration form) I clicked the pdf link, typed my password, and downloaded the 11-pages-long document. They say that downloadings are free during 15 days after the publication data. Today is day #14.
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/