Re: [Phys-l] Percent KE retained in perfectly inelastic collision

I appreciate Krishna Chowdary's response.

At this point neither the text nor I have mentioned that KE can be written as p^2/2m. Many texts don't point that out until modern physics, so I sometimes forget it also. I suppose the reason they don't point it out is because learning about KE comes a chapter or two before momentum in the typical textbook sequence. I did a quick examination of the text I am currently using (Serway/Jewett) and I did not see KE = p^2/2m until chapter 40 which is the start of quantum mechanics. I personally try to remember to point this relation out when we are in the momentum chapter (chapter 9), but I am certain I forgot to point it out to this class. I think this is an error on the part of many authors. It was also an error for me to forget it for this class, but I did forget it.

Not only had I not personally made the connection that KEf/KEi = v1i/vf, I also had not made the connection Krishna pointed out that KE retained is m1/(m1+m2), so if a student had written that without showing the work, that also would have surprised me. As Krishna pointed out, this is a special case, so we don't spend much time on it. However, we do a lab on 1-D collisions on the air track, and this particular case is one of five different types of collisions they do in that lab.

In this case, the student did not show his work, so I already have to take off points for that. In addition, I know the students well since I have a small class, and this student generally did not hand in assigned problem sets. Therefore it is unlikely he ran into this as he was working similar problems. I still think he didn't know what he was doing.

Here is what I decided to do. I did not give any credit for the answer, and I wrote this comment... "This is not how I expected you to solve this problem, and you did not show how you got this relation. If you show me how you got this relation, I will give you full credit for your answer."

It would be my guess he will not take the to time find out why his solution was actually correct, and getting or not getting the points on this problem will not change his final grade for the course. But I am willing to be pleasantly surprised if he comes in and shows me why his method is correct. Perhaps my challenge will motivate him to work harder second semester.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
1 University Drive