[Phys-l] Psychologists Respond to the "Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based, Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching"

If you reply to this long (7 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

************************************
ABSTRACT: I give online URL's for (a) three responses by psychologists to "Why Minimal Guidance During Instruction Does Not Work: An Analysis of the Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based, Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching" [Kirschner, Sweller, & Clark (KSC) (2006)], (b) the counter by KSC to those responses, and (c) my own critique of KSC (2006). Both "a" and "b" appear in the Educational Psychologist 42(2), (2007).
************************************

There has been considerable discussion-list attention to the provocatively titled article "Why Minimal Guidance During Instruction Does Not Work: An Analysis of the Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based, Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching" [Kirschner, Sweller, & Clark (KSC) (2006)].

Therefore some subscribers may be interested in the online responses to KSC (2006) by psychologists: Hmelo-Silver et al. (2007), Kuhn (2007), & Schmidt et al. (2007); and KSC's online counter to those responses: Sweller, et al. (2007); all in the Educational Psychologist 42(2), 2007 at <http://www.leaonline.com/toc/ep/42/2>.

The abstract of Sweller, et al. (2007) is:

In this reply to commentaries on the Kirschner, Sweller, and Clark (2006) paper, we not only reemphasize the importance of randomized, controlled experimental tests of competing instructional procedures, but also indicate that altering one variable at a time is an essential feature of a properly controlled experiment. Furthermore, we also emphasize that variable must be relevant to the issue at hand with its effects explainable by our knowledge of human cognitive architecture. We reject the view that the presentation of relevant information should be reduced in favor of teaching learners how to find information. Lastly, we indicate that we believe a new educational psychology has been developed that has the potential to rapidly change our field.

I shall modestly forbear mentioning my own online critique of KSC (2006): "Cognitive Science and Physics Education Research: What We've Got Here Is Failure to Communicate" [Hake (2007)].
24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>