Re: [Phys-l] study of IP and AB

Hi,

I'll offer my two cents regarding the IB program (I have been teaching IB Physics over ten years). I was a bit surprised
that the Fordham report addressed Mathematics SL instead of Mathematics HL (higher level) since HL maths does offer an
excellent preparation for university studies in physics and mathematics. I don't teach mathematics in the IB but I keep
talking to my colleague about the topic.

I think that the IB is academically demanding program. For
instance, physics, chemistry and biology involve an externally
moderated assessment of lab reports (in physics, these include
uncertainty analysis). Moreover, they need to write an Extended
Essay which shows (hopefully!) some original approach to research.
In addition they have a Theory of Knowledge course which deals
with knowledge issues in different disciplines.

IB candidates are well received in the European top universities
such as Cambridge and Oxford. I was told by an admission tutor
in Cambridge University that they can trust applicant's academic abilities if he/she scores highly in the IB diploma. This is not necessarily true in the case of their own A-levels diploma.

John, thanks for pointing out the Fordham Foundation report.

Regards,

Antti

Antti Savinainen, Ph.D., B.Ed.
Senior Lecturer in Physics and Mathematics
Kuopio Lyseo High School
Finland
E-mail: <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi>
Website: <http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/savant/>

Tämä viesti on tarkoitettu ainoastaan henkilölle tai yhteisölle, jolle se on osoitettu.
Viesti saattaa sisältää luottamuksellista tietoa. Jos olet saanut viestin erehdyksessä,
ilmoita siitä lähettäjälle ja tuhoa viesti postilaatikostasi

Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostisuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.
Tarkastuksesta huolimatta noudata asianmukaista varovaisuutta liitteitä avatessasi.

Kuopion kaupunki / ATK-keskus