Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

I'm about to the point of thinking it doesn't matter whether we treat the bead/rim/wheel as a unit, or treat the bead separate from the wheel. It seems to me the major point is that the wheel is supported by essentially hanging from the upper sidewall rather than being pushed up by the lower sidewall. That's the thing the average person doesn't understand. The interaction between the bead and wheel is probably some combination of glue or friction with the rim on top as well as tension from the cables in the bead. Doesn't it have to be some combination, because they are both present. I just don't know the ratio.

Although I am mostly thinking it doesn't matter what the ratio is (that is, the bead is pretty darned-well stuck to the rim somehow), I am trying to get some information for a local tire manufacturer. Cooper Tire and Rubber Company national headquarters is in Findlay, Ohio which is 20 miles north of where I live. They do most of their testing and design in Findlay. I know one of the rubber chemists who works there. I am trying to get him to put me into contact with one of the tire engineers. However, this appears somewhat difficult because they seem to claim a lot of "proprietary information" when you try to talk details. As part of our local American Chemical Society group, of which I am a member, I have toured the plant several times. It's a great and amazing tour, but they don't answer very many detailed questions. I think they know the answers... they just "ain't talkin." I'll see if I can spring any information loose about this bead/rim question.

Anybody else know any tire engineers?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University