Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question--next steo

Next step here--taking Michael's model--simplified.

To get a net force up of 600 lbs on a given wheel, caused by the tension in the top half being vertical but the bottom half at an angle theta (from vertical), then I get that 600lbs = Tension(1 -cos(theta)).

At 10 degrees, you need 39,000 lbs of tension!
At 20 degrees, about 10,000 lbs.
At 30 degrees, about 4500 lbs.

I don't think the angles are 30 degrees (10 maybe) but can't imagine that the sidewall tensions are high enough. I know this is maybe too simple, but the basic question here is what magnitude of tension and what magnitude of angle are needed for this to work?

Rick