Re: [Phys-l] About 'electrostatic lifter'

See
http://www.electricmuseum.com/exhibits/lifter/index.shtml
http://jnaudin.free.fr/lifters/main.htm
http://csigizmos.com/products/dustlifting/stungun.html

My favorite is Orville, the mouse electronaut:
http://lifterproject.online.fr/orville/index.htm

Thought is there is an coronal discharged "ion wind" of air
flowing downwards (not just an ion rocket spraying electrons)
and N3 "lifts" the device. The lifter device is basically an
asymmetric capacitor open to the air run at HV.

One of my students is building one in freshman E&M; so if he
electrocutes himself I may need a new job.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>