Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

On 11/06/2007 12:28 PM, Rick Tarara wrote:

How does a tire actually hold up a car?

Wow, what a nifty question. Is there some way to cross-reference this
to the recent "practical physics" thread?

At the Way Things Work site they talk about the footprint area of the tires
times the pressure equalling the weight of the car. However, if I look at
the forces: The road pushes up on the tires, but the tires must push up on
the wheels--with a force equal to the weight of the car (more or
less--depending on if you count the weight of the tires themselves).

Yup.

The
two factors I see as possible are 1) A pressure difference between the top
of the wheel and the bottom of the wheel--giving a net upwards force.

Not a chance. Pascal's principle.

The other--and I think this is the answer but need confirmation--is
that most (if not all) of the weight is supported by the sidewalls of the
tires which are stiffened by the air pressure.

That's most of it.

Actually it's not so much "stiffness" as /tension/. Although
there is some stiffness, it's not crucial. The tire would still
work as a tire if it were made of thin fabric with infinite
flexibility (zero stiffness).

The final ingredient is to notice that the sidewall changes
shape. In the absence of stiffness, if it didn't change
shape, the force would be zero by symmetry.

Imagine looking at the tire from dead ahead, and taking
a cross section:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/img48/tire.png

Think about the angle at which the sidewall meets the rim.