Re: [Phys-l] heat +- impulse

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker

There is one school of thought that says
-P dV _is_ the work and
T dS _is_ the heat
in this context. Just the other day I saw somebody write
dE = heat + work
with this meaning.

I don't really follow this way of formulating work - what if we have a
resistor immersed in water? Usually the rise in the internal energy of
the water is attributed to electrical "work" being done because a
temperature difference is not involved (since the resistor is basically
kept at the same temperature as the water bath).

In my experience, instead of trying to quantify "heat", it has
always been easier to quantify other things instead, usually
energy and entropy.

Do you have a macroscopic definition of S2 - S1 that does not involve
the heat associated with reversible processes connecting the end states?

Bob at PC