Re: [Phys-l] heat +- impulse

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker

In any case, this allows us to interpret an equation such as
dE = p dV - T dS [2]
as a _vector_ equation.

Note that the RHS of equation [2] has a work-related term and
a heat-related term.

OK - as long as the term "related" is used - and that T dS is not
confused with the actual numerical value of heat - T dS is the upper
limit of the heat.

Therefore I'm suggesting a shift in emphasis. Rather than
emphasizing "transfer variable", IMHO it is more helpful to
emphasize "vector". Once you realize that T dS is a vector,
there's a lot you can do with it.

I am in general agreement with this approach. However, I'm still not
sure what your intent for "heat" is. Would you still attach the concept
of "vector" with it - as you do for TdS?

Bob at PC