Re: [Phys-l] heat +- impulse

On 11/04/2007 12:13 AM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

If I stand on roller skates and push against a wall, an impulse acts
for a while, resulting in my having momentum - but then the impulse
is gone. The only question is whether or not a state variable has
been created. The total momentum of the earth and myself was zero
before and after the push. So did the impulse cause a change in a
state variable? Interesting!

If we take the skater to be the "system", then yes, the
momentum of the skater is a state variable. It is a function
of state for the skater. We just transferred some momentum
across the boundary of the system. In the formalism of
thermodynamics, this is analogous to transferring energy
across the boundary of the system. Energy transfers may be
more-widely discussed in the textbooks, but it is no big
deal to handle momentum transfers on the same footing.

As an important example, the Euler equation for fluid flow
is best thought of as a continuity equation for the flow of
momentum.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/euler-flow.htm