[Phys-l] Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based, Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching?

If you reply to this long (12 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

ABSTRACT: Bev Ferrell in an ITFORUM post of 17 October 2007 titled "Clark- constructivist?" wrote: "I ran across . . . .["Why Minimal Guidance During Instruction Does Not Work: An Analysis of the Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based, Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching" by Kirschner, Sweller, & Clark (2006)]. . . . [and]. . .was wondering what your interpretation would be . . . " Among the eight response was one to the effect that standard categories such as those in the title of Kirschner et al. may "prevent us from seeing into the heart of design problems and their solutions." I agree and regard the the article by Kirschner et al. as a failure to communicate because the terms used by them are not operationally defined.