Re: [Phys-l] plasma sphere

I do a demo with a "Jacob's ladder". The arc starts at the bottom where the sturdy, straight, nearly vertical, diverging wires are closest together (largest electric field) and then rises. The arc rises because the hot ionized air of the arc is less dense than the surrounding cool air (often badly stated as "heat rises").

Once the arc is near the top, I can rotate the apparatus to make the wires horizontal and the arc stays in place.

I can then rotate it 90 degrees more until it is upside down and the arc will again rise until it's back to where it started.

I expect the same thing is occurring in your plasma sphere. What happens if you rotate it?

Tom Sandin