[Phys-l] grad of potential (was: configurational energy)

On 10/17/2007 03:05 PM, Jacques Rutschmann wrote:

4) In physics and related disciplines, "potential" means
positional, and has been used in this sense more-or-less
consistently since about 1840 (or perhaps earlier; I don't know).
This extends to gravitational potential, electrostatic potential,
et cetera. By a further extension, any functions of state are
called thermodynamic potentials e.g. chemical potential, Gibbs
potential, et cetera (which exist in an abstract state-space, not
in prosaic position-space).

This is helpful!

:-)

I always believed that "potential" meant in physics
that the force (or more abstract quantities) could be computed by
taking the grad (*) of the "potential"... I always found very
disturbing that the gradients of the numerous thermodynamics
potentials were of no interest.

We probably agree 100% as to the sentiment, but you have to
be careful how you express it. Cases to consider include:

a) In an inhomogeneous fluid, the derivatives (w.r.t position)
of a thermodynamic potential such as energy per mole (E) might
be of considerable interest. If we know E as a function of x
and y we can write:

∂E ∂E
d(E) = ---- d(x) + ---- d(y) [1]
∂x ∂y

b) In a homogeneous fluid, that's not so interesting, because
the derivatives (w.r.t position) vanish.

c) At a given x,y point in the fluid (homogeneous or otherwise)
we might know E as a function of V and S, in which case we can
write:

∂E ∂E
d(E) = ---- d(V) + ---- d(S) at constant x,y [2]
∂V ∂S

which might be very, very useful.

Both [1] and [2] have an equal claim to be "the" gradient of E.
They are similar in form, and profoundly similar in meaning.

=======================

This can be made very precise at almost zero cost if the d(...)
operator is interpreted as the exterior derivative. That makes
it a one-form. One-forms are best visualized in terms of contour
lines, as on a topographic map. They are vectors, since they
uphold the axioms that define a vector space. They are not,
however, equivalent to the more familiar pointy vectors.

Almost anything you really need to do with a gradient vector can
be done with a gradient-one-form-vector; you don't need a
gradient-pointy-vector.

In particular, in abstract thermodynamic state-space, there is a
gradient-one-form-vector, but there is no gradient-pointy-vector.
State space has no geometry, but it does have a differential
topology.

This is worked out in detail, with illustrations, at:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-forms.htm