Re: [Phys-l] Electrocution in Bathtub - Hollywood style

On 10/17/2007 09:41 AM, Fakhruddin, Hasan wrote:

I have seen this in at least three Hollywood movies; electrocuting
someone in a bathtub or in a similar situation by throwing a
powered-on electric appliance such a toaster in the water. I don't
believe this would ordinarily electrocute the person in the bathtub;
will it?

It depends on what you mean by "ordinarily".
-- I wouldn't recommend this as a reliable way of killing
somebody.
-- But I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a safe & healthy
situation for the bather, either.

I assume this is (at least partly) a question about the physics.

My first advice, as usual, is _draw the circuit diagram_.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/img48/bathtub.png

I'm not going to discuss the details unless somebody asks, but
it's clear that fatal scenarios are possible in this situation.

For starters, assuming that the victim hasn't thought very much
about this threat, one very human reaction might be to grab the
toaster -- in order to throw it out of the water -- which would
be a Very Bad Move.

Also, even if the initial posture (as shown) makes it hard to
get an immediately-fatal shock to the chest, you have to ask
what happens next. A non-fatal shock to the lower body might
cause the victim to lose control of posture, leading eventually
to fatal consequences. And unless the victim is very clever,
it is hard to stand up from the initial posture without using
the hands, and touching things with the hands greatly increases
the risk of fatal shock to the upper body.

Dry skin is a pretty good insulator, but wet skin is not.

Draw the circuit diagram!

Some facts:

From the US Consumer Product Safety Commission:
In May 2002, a 14-year-old girl from Arlington, Texas, was
electrocuted when wiring problems in an apartment swimming pool's
underwater lights charged the water with electricity. A 16-year-old
boy was seriously shocked when he jumped in the pool to try to save
the young girl. Another teenager used a fiberglass shepherd's hook (a
non-conductive device) to pull both victims from the water.

This goes to show that the conductivity of real water is in the range
where R2 is small enough to be lethal, while R1 is large enough to not
blow the CB.

Many people are afraid of snakes, but in fact there are two orders of
magnitude more fatal at-home electrocutions than fatal snake bites.
Large appliances figure more prominently than small appliances for
some reason, and "installed household wiring" figures prominently,
for some reason that I definitely haven't figured out:
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia05/os/electrocutions2001.pdf