Re: [Phys-l] Electrocution in Bathtub - Hollywood style

The most spectacular Hollywood killing by bath electrocution is in "Eating Raoul" where a whole hot tub full of cavorting people instantly keel over and die like little Barbies when an electrical appliance is tossed in.

Modern homes have plastic pipes so the drain is probably not grounded, and the ground on the water pipes would not be very good.

Also the GFI in the bathroom is a very effective preventive measure.

Unfortunately I could not find a summary of the Mythbusters broadcast, but in view of the number of problematic things, it is unlikely that it would occurr. However, I would not want to test it with a live subject. There is a Golf course at Duke Univ. where people, er golfers, have been killed several times at the same hole. I would rate that location as more dangerous than an electrical appliance falling into a tub.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
I have seen this in at least three Hollywood movies; electrocuting
someone in a bathtub or in a similar situation by throwing a powered-on
electric appliance such a toaster in the water. I don't believe this
would ordinarily electrocute the person in the bathtub; will it?

Check out "MythBusters". They tested this exact thing...