Re: [Phys-l] Small, Inexpensive Physics Toys?

At 01:08 PM 10/5/2007, you wrote:
We are preparing for an open house and are looking for good ideas for
small 'prizes' to give to elementary or middle school aged kids. ...
Do people have other suggestions or vendors or specific little
'prizes' that would be appropriate for this situation?

I'd also be interested in suggestions in the $1-3 range.

Thanks!
Mark Lucas

Some worthy responses already. Here are one or two more...

Plastic cups (drug dispensers) with nylon fishing line fixed in
the base of each of two cups, for a string telephone.

A few inches of fiber light guide to demonstrate a light ray
turning a corner.

A few wooden toothpicks and a tube of cement for making
structures like pyramids, cubes etc.

A sycamore seed (or other winged seed)

A dandelion seed (or other parachute seed)

A rubber balloon and sample of paper confetti.

A sewing needle (to float on water.)

A disposable petri dish and chunk of jello
(hmmm...not exactly physics?)

A plastic lens

A few strips of blotting paper (with instructions
for chromatograph separations)

A corked test tube filled with oil and colored water.

A corked test tube with dye-water expressed from a
high lighter pen (which is a UV excited fluorescer)

A small paper bag (to boil water in)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!