Re: [Phys-l] Small, Inexpensive Physics Toys?

Our Open House is in four weeks. I typically so some demos and give
everyone a ziplock bag of science toys:

blow ball pipe
tippy top
dragonfly
popper
clackers
fortune fish
kazoo
flute
bird whistle
kaleidoscope

These can be purchased in bulk from

www.orientaltrading.com
www.ustoy.com
www.kipptoys.com

I also give out diffraction goggles (100 for $35) and eclipse goggles (100
for $75) from www.rainbowsymphony.com.

Kids love this stuff, and everything is cheap! Good luck!

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
We are preparing for an open house and are looking for good ideas for
small 'prizes' to give to elementary or middle school aged kids. I'm
aware of the $3-4 bracket of things I can get at Arbor Scientific or
Educational Innovations (Energy Balls, Diffraction gratings, Dropper
Poppers, etc...), and I have the okay to pepper the pot with some of
these, but we were also looking for something more in the $1 (or
slightly less), since we aren't certain how many kids to expect.

We are aware of the Oriental Trading Company. The challenge with this is
to have something physics-oriented. We can purchase the slinkies or
gliders. Do people have other suggestions or vendors or specific little
'prizes' that would be appropriate for this situation?

I'd also be interested in suggestions in the $1-3 range.

Thanks!
Mark Lucas