Re: [Phys-l] two kinds of electrical charge ????????

On 07/31/2007 05:31 PM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:
I find your One Kind of Charge document intriguing.

:-)

Agreement with your
position can be found in slides 5 and 6 of Introducing Particle Physics
by Pablo del Amo Sanchez at:
<http://www.ep.ph.bham.ac.uk/general/outreach/Masterclass/talks2007/pdfs
/mc2007_PPIntro_Pablo.pdf>

which would suggest that if you are going to say that there are two
kinds of electrical charge, then to be consistent, you better say that
there are 6 kinds of color charge.

Yes, that would be consistent. Consistently bad, but consistent.

I cannot imagine why anybody would /want/ to treat the left half
of the number line differently from the right half. Just from
pedagogical considerations, the students come in perfectly happy
with a one-component model ... so why go to the trouble of beating
it out of them, when for 250 years the math and the physics have
said that the one-component model was fundamentally correct?

I disagree with your characterization "... just to introduce the idea of
'charge' (Q), say that the amount of charge can be positive, zero, or
negative, and proceed from there." of the approach taken by "Reference
4" (The Feynman Lectures on Physics) in the document:
<http://www.av8n.com/physics/one-kind-of-charge.htm>

OK, I now see that Feynman is not a good illustration of the
point I was trying to make. I removed the reference just now.

On page 12-7 of Volume I, Feynman says, "Objects carry electrical
charges which consist simply of electrons or protons."

On page 1-1 of Volume II, he says, "There are two kinds of 'matter,'
which we can call positive and negative."
and,
"And all matter is a mixture of positive protons and negative electrons
which are attracting and repelling with this great force."

As a statement about /matter/ that is mostly correct.

There's a difference between matter and charge. It is perfectly
possible to have N different kinds of matter but only one kind
of charge.

Still, I agree that Feynman is not a good illustration of the
point I was trying to make. I removed the reference just now.

I was taught the one-component model in school. Until a couple of
days ago, I did not even realize there *was* a two-fluid model.
No kidding.

I've read lots of physics texts, and I must have always skipped
over the part about the two-fluid model. Recently I've gone back
and spot-checked a few texts, and some of them do in fact advocate
the two-fluid model. Most of them say only a few words about it,
so wouldn't be hard for me to skim right over it. Also, as soon
as they start writing down equations they write one-component
equations, so it would be easy to conclude they weren't serious
about the two-fluid model. I don't mind if somebody briefly
uses it as a figure of speech, so long as they don't take it
seriously, and immediately segue into a one-component theory
and thereafter talk about "the" charge.

But when somebody starts arguing that the two-fluid model is
"right" and the one-component model is "wrong", I just cannot
imagine where that is coming from.