Re: [Phys-l] ? passive force of constraint

Regarding Jack's statement that agents of force should not be discussed:

I have had students discuss what causes a force. I've found that this helps students eliminate 'inertia' from the discussion of forces. I've taught that each force comes from an interaction and there must be something causing a force. Students eventually see that inertia doesn't have an obvious cause and then can't be a force.

I am curious what others have to say about this. Thanks for the input.

To wonder is to begin to understand.

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher
St. Anthony Village Senior High