Re: [Phys-l] ? passive force of constraint

On 07/18/2007 09:50 PM, Dan Crowe wrote in part:
an active force is a force exerted by an animate organism

On 07/19/2007 04:29 PM, Scott Goelzer wrote in part:

Ideally, all students would come to realize that there are no passive
forces.

OK, now I'm even more confused than when we started.

Am I to conclude that all forces are exerted by an animate organism?

I'm not trying to be difficult; I just can't see any other way to
interpret what I'm being told. Is there a typo somewhere?

The more I learn about passive forces and active forces, the more I
want to stay away from them.

The concept is not DOA
since it exists for students.

Why should we let the inmates run the asylum? I'm not shy about
confronting misconceptions when necessary ... but I see no reason
to think this active/passive business is necessary. Discussing a
previously inchoate misconception will often consolidate it rather
than dispelling it. Not to mention the time spent discussing it.