Re: [Phys-l] interaction pairs (was: ? passive force)

On 07/19/2007 05:53 PM, Paul Lulai wrote:

I've recently switched from action/reaction to interaction pairs.

That makes a tremendous amount of sense.

switch in reference frame might change which is perceived as the
action & which is the reaction. Action/reaction also tends to imply
one of the objects 'caused' the phenomena to occur while the other
was an innocent bystander. This is obviously not true.

I agree that misplaced notions of cause-and-effect are widespread
and troublesome.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/causation.htm

If we discuss every such occurrence as an interaction, the 'fault' of
the collision is gone. It is easier to see which objects are
interacting (while easier, I'll admit it doesn't magically &
completely remove the conceptual issue). It is also a bit smoother
when discussing impulses. Stating that impulse-momentum methods work
when we are interested in information just b4 or after an interaction
is smoother than discussing action/reaction at that point. It also
allows an easy transition & reinforcement with N3L discussions than
if I subbed in action/reaction or collision etc...

And ... it sets the stage for an easy segue to conservation of momentum.