[Phys-l] An Unsolved Color Problem

Here is the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) for today July 17,2007.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

I haven't "solved" the problem of how the two squares can appear to have
different colors and yet be the same color, so I have no need of coding
techniques to hide my solution.

I would, however, appreciate an (uncoded) explanation as to how the
squares can appear so different in color to the eye and yet be the same
color from anyone who knows the answer or can figure it out.

Don Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corp.
Undersea Systems
Annapolis, MD