Re: [Phys-l] E-M radiation pressure

You just described the radiometry effect not radiation pressure, which won't work w/ a smoke particle either, as the difference in temp. between the two sides must be minuscule.
bc, still not satisfied.

Jeffrey Schnick wrote:

Based on the H-165 entry in Sutton's work (to see it, click on the link
provided by Michael A Thomason,
<http://physicslearning.colorado.edu/PIRA/Sutton/PARTIII.pdf> and search
the document for "H-165" to find the entry "H-165. Radiometer Effect and
Convection." on page 50 of the document)
the word "radiation" in the abstract
Put a hot metal object in a smoke filled projection cell and
the smoke will be repelled by radiation pressure. Convection
will cause an upward clearing.
found at
<http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/pira/4therm/4B50.html> should be replaced with the word "radiometric."

Based on my understanding of how a radiometer (see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer> )
works, the side of a smoke particle facing the hot metal object is
heated up by the electromagnetic radiation from the hot object. That
side is therefore hotter than the other side of the smoke particle and
is thus transferring energy at a greater rate (than the other side is)
to the air in contact with it. As such the hotter side of the smoke
particle must be transferring momentum (directed toward the hot object)
at a greater rate than the other side is transferring momentum (directed
away from the hot object) to the air in contact with that side. By
Newton's third law, the net rate at which momentum is being transferred
to the smoke particle by the air is non-zero and is directed away from
the hot object. As a result, the smoke particle is moving away from the
hot object.

Jeff Schnick