[Phys-l] The Myths of Innovation

Research on innovation diffusion (or lack thereof) of the type discussed by:

a. Everett Rogers (2003) in "Diffusion of Innovations" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations>,

b. Clayton Christensen (2006) in "The Innovator's Dilemma" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Christensen>], and (more recently)

c. Scott Berkun (2007) in "The Myths of Innovation,"
might yield some information on the factors responsible for the pathologically slow diffusion of innovation in higher education.

In addition, some physics education researchers are now pursuing studies of the slow progress of educational reform. For example, Henderson & Dancy (2006a,b) are interviewing faculty to determine their attitudes toward innovations in physics education and the (usually minimal) extent to which faculty have incorporated such innovations into their own classroom practice.

Chapter 4 (freely downloadable at <http://tinyurl.com/2x9hv7>) of "The Myths of Innovation" deals with the myth "People love new ideas." Therein Berkin wrote [bracketed by lines "BBBBB. . . ."; my insert at ". . . .[insert]. . . ."]:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
Every great idea in history has the fat red stamp of rejection on its face. It's hard to see today because once ideas gain acceptance, we gloss over the hard paths they took to get there. If you scratch any innovation's surface, you'll find the scars: they've been roughed up and thrashed around-by both the masses and leading minds- before they made it into your life. Paul C. Lauterbur, cowinner of the . . . . [2003 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine <http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2003/press.html> for discoveries concerning "magnetic resonance imaging," whose seminal 1973 paper on magnetic resonance imaging was originally rejected by "Nature," is quoted by Davis (2007) as stating] . . . . "You can write the entire history of science in the last 50 years in terms of papers rejected by "Science" or "Nature." Big ideas in all fields endure dismissals, mockeries, and persecutions (for them and their creators). . . . .
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

I have not read Berkin's book, but it has been highly praised by:

a. John Seely Brown <http://www.johnseelybrown.com/>, former Chief Scientist of Xerox: "Insightful, inspiring, evocative, and just plain fun to read it's totally great"; and

b. Don Norman <http://www.jnd.org/ >, author of "Design of Everyday Things": "Small, simple, powerful: an innovative book about innovation."

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>

"Difficulties of Change: . . . 9. The PRIMA FACIE AFFRONT: Whereas I have spent a significant fraction of my professional life perfecting my lectures and otherwise investing conscientiously in the status quo, therefore to suggest an alternative is, by definition, to attack
me."
Robert Halfman, Margaret MacVicart, W.T. Martin, Edwin Taylor, and
Jerrold Zacharias (1977).