Re: [Phys-l] Scientists speaking outside their fields. Was... The Cause of Global Warming...

Hi Michael-
Your arguments summarize a variety of popular views that lie outside of the mainstream of scienc (to the extant such a classification is meaningful). First, the views of your long-gone professor appear to be those of a group of social scientists known as "relativists" who insisted that there is no such thing as objective reality. They were soundly taken to task by - among others - physicists who assert that our "objective reality" is composed of the results of eexperiments. There are ways to argue around this answer because as us lawyers learn in the first year of law school, it is always possible to make an argument on any side of any topic. Such arguments are the stuff of philosophy, which I treat as though it is infected with the H5N1 (or whatever it's called) virus.
The question at issue is, to what extent do we rely upon authority
for our opinions about matters in which we lack expertise. One argument, popular amoung those who are conditioned to be obedient to authority goes like: If I have no knowledge on a subject then I must rely on those who have expertise in the relevant subject matter. The argument is a swindle;
it relies on the pretense that there is only a choice between two (probably undesirable) alternatives. I can state with high confidence that such is never the case in real life.
The swindle is that you do, in fact have expertise in recognizing logical thinking and in recognizing when the supposed expert has stepped outside the bounds of his/her expertise (I'll give an example in a moment}. Also, it is usually possible to determine the concensus view in the supposed expert's field and apply the principle that unusual conclusions require unusually strong evidence.
Here's an example. I recently reviewed a book for another (non-science) list, "The Female Brain" by Louann Brizenden, M.D. The author is a professor of neuropsychiatry at U C S F and has been on the Harvard faculty as well as other impressive positions. Her main thesis, that men and women deal with different realities, appears to be accepte in her field. She also goes into some detail about the objective results of brain studies. Ndow I have no expertise whatsoever in her field. But when she states:
A woman uses about 20,000 words per day while a man uses about 7,000.

Thoughts about sex enter a woman??Ts brain once every couple of days but
enter a man??Ts brain about once every minut

I can cerrtainly fall back on my knowledge of experimental technique and statistics to convince myself that there is no possible way to falsify such assertions, and they therefore lie outside of the domain of science.

Conclusion: Even when dealing with matters outside of my own field, I can keep my attention focussed on th message and evaluate which parts of the message are likely to be generally acceptable within the field and which parts need serious discounting. I emphasize. The focus is on the message, not on the messenger.

By the way, the book is a good read. I recommend it.
Regards,
Jack