From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of David
Bowman
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 12:09 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Carmichael numbers agai

Regarding Tim F's analogy,

I don't think the original statement was ever meant to be a definition.
It was a necessary but not sufficient condition.

*All Carmichael numbers are the product of 3 or more primes, but not
all
products of three or more primes are Carmichael numbers

Just like

* All primes are odd, but not all odd numbers are prime.

Well, not 'just like', because the above statement is not quite true.
Remember that 2 is a prime number, and 2 is not odd.

David Bowman