From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of Beaurega
Sent: Sun 5/20/2007 5:58 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] The Cause of Global Warming. What's the Proof the hypothesis' and models are right?

Dear Stefan,

I appreciate your candor about these two "images". They are not really
satellite images. I was trained by Russ in image analysis and the use of
Photoshop. I saw the problem immediately. They are too perfect in the
details of the images. If you invert one of these images and subtract it
from the other, one thing is clear. They are identical on about 70+ % of
the image at a magnification factor of 700% and right down to the
individual pixel color shading and pixel positions. They are only
different in the sea ice areas. You can see that in the subtraction I sent
off list. The land masses are totally unchanged features from "1979 to
2003", as you observed. That's impossible as well as the identical
satellite position in non-geosynchronous orbit and the identical pixel
level image frame.

Your cited web page showed the true context of these image frames. These
images "from a satellite" are only computer simulations or animation
recreations done on the earth at NASA.

These two image are called "two NASA images" and "taken by a NASA
satellite". Your cited web page says, "However, findings from our
SIMULATIONS suggest a counterintuitive phenomenon. Some of the melt in the
Arctic may be offset by increases in sea ice volume in the Antarctic."
"included the satellite observations in their MODEL." What else was
included in the model to create these animation frames?
"I HOPE that in the future we'll be able to verify this result with REAL
DATA through a long-term ice thickness measurement campaign"
That last one makes me think the authors know the images are pseudo-colored
images and completely generated in a computer. I think you might agree.

The full animation at the cited web page shows the ice expanding and
retreating many times, not just the extremes of the ice to prove global ice
melt. It appears to me that the sea ice is a layered rubber-stamp set to a
partial-opacity overlay on top of some type of earth image as the
background image. The image is then flattened.

All these statements mean that the two images I saw were not real satellite
image data. They are clever pseudo-colored simulations and overlays that
were flattened. Considering they were not TIFs, were compressed into
jpegs, and the framing and pixels still matched; that tells me the same
person did the pseudo-image manipulations.

You said, "Surely the Greenland ice cap is retreating as well."
I sent you a greener Greenland and more melted sea ice in 2008, just for
laughs. Maybe I should have covered Lake Erie and the Sea of Japan with
snow and ice instead.

Paul
Image Analysis
Industrial Analytical Scientist