Re: [Phys-l] Ugh - RLC circuit issues

Determining the frequency is mostly a pretext for getting them to do a
little creative experimentation. It doesn't really matter to me if their
prediction isn't accurate, but I want them to be able to test for the
resonant frequency with some success.
jg

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
writes:

Josh,

Maybe the best way to determine the frequency of the station the students
are picking up is to listen to the broadcast for their station ID/call
letters. Then if they don't say what the frequency is themselves you can
look it up yourself. My guess as to what the station is, is that it is
the one with the strongest signal strength in the vicinity of your
school. Try looking outside the school for the nearest AM broadcast
tower & track down the station using it.

Any attempt to calculate the frequency the set is tuned to from scratch
will probably not work. Besides the problem of accurately finding all
the necessary physical parameters is the problem that the station being
received is quite possibly not on the set's resonance frequency anyway.
Often homemade crystal radio sets have very poor off-resonance signal
rejection properties, and a strong station with that is off resonance
response can swamp the signal of a weaker signal that is broadcasting
closer to the set's supposedly tuned resonance frequency.

David Bowman