Re: [Phys-l] CFL's Read the fine print.

Hi,

A couple of additional data points:

I have a CFL in my dusk to dawn light outside my garage. It has been going strong for about 3 years now. This is one place a CFL really saves, because over a year it is on an averages 11-12 hours/day.

Here at the University of Arizona, they have been replacing older lights with modern ones. They are paying for it out of the savings. About 7-8 years ago they replace the most of the fluorescents with better ones and then when the T-8's came out about four years ago, they replaced the lights again. The T-8 ( The 8 is the diameter of the tube in 1/8-ths of an inch.) run cheaper, last longer than the old units, have an electronic ballast so they flash at about 20,000Hz, and have better color. In one hallway the last light was one a different circuit and was changed later than the rest of the lights. With the new T-8's in place, that end bulb clearly gave off an ugly green tint.

There seems to be some electrical oddity in my office. Twice in four years the T-8 ballast have failed. Someone who had occupied my office 30 years ago, was talking to me when they fixed it the second time. He said, the lighting failed frequently when he had my office. The repair guy said that there are a number of rooms on campus, which their records indicated have a high failure rate. But it could just be statistical fluctuations.

Thanks,
Roger Haar
U of AZ

Ian Collier wrote:
That five years at 4 hours per day translates to about 7000 hours.

Seems pretty realistic for most of the bulbs in my home - as opposed to my workplace.

Most incandescent bulbs have lifetimes typically under 1000 hours. (Dramatically less if they are over volted for more efficient light output.)

Of course if you are in an environment where you pay someone actual money to change bulbs for you (ie almost any workplace) having to do that 5-7 times less often pays for CFLs all on its own.

--Ian

Ian Collier ian.collier@mac.com

+44 (0)118 984 2462 (cell) +44 (0)7866 510075