Re: [Phys-l] Relativity Question

At 08:18 +0800 5/8/07, <carmelo@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

Are you suggesting that we should not assign mass change to the compressed spring? Or should we also include the "human body" or the object which compress the spring? Hence, we should conclude that the total mass of the system (spring and the agent which compress the spring) is constant?

This will be more consistent, right?

That's a good question, and I'm not sure I have an answer to it. The forces involved in compressing a spring are not so simple as gravitational or electrical forces or nuclear forces that we use in calculating binding energies of these merging systems, or to figure out how much energy we have to put into them to separate the parts.

Since the electrical forces that are released when one allows the spring to expand are all internal, perhaps this is an example of something that can be thought of as a complete system in itself and thus has the energy stored within it, so we can think of the mass of the spring as increasing when it is compressed and decreasing when it expands.

Since I have not thought much about this example, I will await the opinions of others who may have given it more thought than I have.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar