Re: [Phys-l] Relativity Question

Hugh wrote:
We cannot assign that
mass change to either object, although I guess it would be possible
to assign it in proportion to the initial mass of each. I'm not sure
how this would work out, but what is relevant in the potential energy
case is the total mass of the system, and not the individual masses
of either object.

Are you suggesting that we should not assign mass change to the compressed spring? Or should we also include the "human body" or the object which compress the spring? Hence, we should conclude that the total mass of the system (spring and the agent which compress the spring) is constant?

This will be more consistent, right?

Alphonsus