Re: [Phys-l] sudden Vacuum freezing

It is actually a LOT easier to view than you'd expect. A friend of my wife discovered by accident that she could repeatedly and surprisingly reliably view the process simply by placing a plastic bottle of water in the freezer overnight, taking it out the next day, and manipulating it a little.

I can see lots of people doing this tonight. Like me. I'm also looking forward to publishing as per JD, as that sure looked like it froze virtually every drop of water inside.

Makes me wonder, for all those water bottles I've accidently left in the freezer, or beer bottles ditto, unbeknownst to me, is this how they likely froze - in a relative instant?

I understand that it apparently takes a "starter," much like placing a spoon in microwave-superheated water to get to boil explosively, but I would think that it would not necessary be required. Once supercooled, I expect some kind of "unstable equilibrium" that might be triggered by even a small bubble breaking loose from the side. No?

Stefan Jeglinski