From: "fred bucheit" <fbucheit@hotmail.com>
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 20:41:44 +0000
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] sudden Vacuum freezing

Years ago I needed some ice for an experiment the following day in
Physics
class. I placed some water in a standard ice cube tray (back then it
was
aluminum with a removeable aluminum divider) and left for the day. The
next
morning I opened the freezer compartment of the refrigerator and pulled
out
the tray. To my disappointment, the water did not freeze. I decided to
pour
it down a drain on the other side of the room. As I walked across the
room I
happened to look at the tray and I thought I saw something moving in
the
water. It was then I realized that it had supercooled and I was
watching the
crystallization of the water. How many times in a lifetime does one see
that
by accident?

Fred Bucheit....retired

~I think is the antidote to I believe~

Hi,

For our final lab for or sophomore physics majors, we try to show
them
some odd things like rattlebacks. We show them how to freeze water in
vacuum. One uses a shallow dish (1/2 inch of water) on a good
insulator
in a vacuum belljar. and start pumping. (This is hard on the pump.)
The
vapor pressure drops, and the water boils. The water cools to its
freezing point with the removal of thermal energy.

I saw something surprising, at least to see. The water
supercooled,
and while I was watching it froze in about a second. It was slow
enough
that I could see a the water-ice boundary move across the dish like
almost like a wave. The dish was then frozen to at least half of its
depth.

I understand what happened, but am amazed that the water was
supercooled to a temperature such that so much water would freeze, and
that I happened to be looking at the right moment.

Thanks
Roger Haar
Physics U of AZ

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%20Par
k&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scen
e=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01