Re: [Phys-l] CFL's not such a hot idea

For those of you interested in a 50-year life incandescent, here's a picture of a 100+ year incandescent:

http://www.centennialbulb.org/photos.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of Shapiro, Mark
Sent: Tue 5/1/2007 10:54 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] CFL's not such a hot idea

I've been using CFL in my house (all but two bulbs are CFLs) since the California energy crisis hit in the latter half of 2000. So far my experience with them has been excellent. A few of the original CFLs are still in use in the house mostly in the low use areas. The majority have been replaced once. A few in high use areas have been replaced twice.

Typical lifetime seems to be about four to five years. The cost for these bulbs has dropped sharply. I can now purchase a 75-watt-equivalent and 100-watt-equivalent bulbs for 50 cents each at my local Drug Emporium store (part of the cost is subsidized by Southern California Edison). That's not much more than what an incandescent bulb costs.

The reduction in our energy usage has been pretty significant -- more than 50% during the cooler months, about 35% during the warmer months when we use our central air conditioner.

These days most hotels use CFLs for room lighting exclusively. They would not be doing that if they did not save money.

(Full disclosure... I own a significant number of shares in Southern California Edison.)

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Professor of Physics, Emeritus
California State University, Fullerton
Phone: 714 278-3884